Garden Path Stepping Stones NJ, PA, NY: Create Stone Paths
Garden Path Stone is used to make a decorative walkway through grass, gravel, sand, or mulch. It is often called garden path stepping stones. Garden paths use stone with reasonably flat tops and bottoms that can easily lay on the ground and provide a reasonably smooth surface. Garden stepping stones can be pattern pieces of precisely cut stone, but more often are irregular pieces - every piece is different - that fit together like a jigsaw puzzle.
An important consideration with garden stone paths is what to use in and around the stone pieces - what is the filler for the gaps between pieces? The filler can be grass, mulch, stone or decorative gravel or sand, quarry dust, polymeric sand, etc. Properly installed outdoor pathways can support grass in between the pieces that can be mowed (care must be taken to ensure mower clearance with any stone).
Garden paths add a wonderful element to any landscape and immediately convey a natural, classic look to any garden space.
Stepping Stone Facts
- Garden path stepping stones can create a unique and attractive pathway in your garden.
- They come in various shapes, sizes, colors, and materials such as concrete, brick, stone, or glass.
- You should consider the size of the stones you choose based on how much space you have available for them.
- Ensure that the stones are level with each other, so they don’t cause tripping hazards when walking on them.
- If using concrete stepping stones, seal them properly to protect against weathering and cracking over time.
- Stepping stones can also be used as decorative accents in your garden by adding plants around them or placing small statues or figurines on top of them.
- When installing stepping stones, it is essential to dig out an area slightly larger than the stone itself so that it will fit securely into place without shifting over time due to ground movement or settling soil beneath it.
- It is also essential to use gravel underneath the stepping stone for drainage purposes, so water does not pool around it, causing damage over time from freezing temperatures during winter months in NJ, PA, and NY climates.
Garden Path Stone We Sell - Smaller Pieces
Horizontal pallets of stone composed of reasonably small pieces - in most cases pieces that are no bigger than 1-2 feet wide and deep, with many pieces be smaller and some types being slightly larger. Typically 1 or 2 persons can handle the stone in a horizontal pallet of smaller pieces.
Garden Path Stone We Sell - Larger Pieces
Larger pieces of garden path stone are available in what we call upright pallets. These pallets of stone typically include medium to large pieces. Medium size garden path stone is roughly 2 feet by 2 with larger pieces being as big as 6+ feet tall and 3+ feet wide. This stone requires 2 or more people to handle and install.
Oversized Horizontal Pallets - these are large pieces horizontally stacked and often quite thick (2-4")
Garden Path Stone We Sell - Slabs
We sell medium to very large slabs of stone that can be used for garden paths. The pool deck to the left shows a large slab installation that we supplied.